Monday, May 15, 2006

Weekly Column - May 15, 2006

Long sunny days and a shift in the prevailing winds to the southwest have combined to warm up our coastal waters. The strength of the wind is also starting to let up. This all translates into great fishing weather!

This past Saturday, I headed out very early to fish just off the beaches for bonito and Spanish mackerel. I only had a few hours since I had a prior commitment later in the morning. Even though my schedule was tight, I wanted to sneak in what may have been my last chance for bonito this season. I had stressed and contemplated if such a trip was worth it, and I ultimately decided to make it.

Under near perfect conditions, I left the dock before dawn. As I arrived to fish, the seas where calm, and there was only a slight breeze. Just as I was putting out my trolling lines, the edge of that bright orange ball we call the sun began to appear on the horizon.

Something clicked in my head, causing me to stop for a moment and watch the sun as it slowly lifted above the horizon.

Stop and smell the roses, I thought -- well at least the salty air. Pause, enjoy this moment I thought.

Not that I expected it to be the last time I would experience this scene -- it is a familiar one for those of us that live here. Nor did I expect some epiphany that would change my life forever. But something had clicked in that fuzzy space I call a brain -- I realized just what it was about fishing I enjoyed the most.

Sure chasing fish and trying to put a few in them in cooler is fun. But as I watched the sun rise, it made me realize that it was the relaxation and peacefulness that I enjoy the most about fishing.

In fact throughout my life, whenever I have a big decision to make or I’m really stressed out, I try to go fishing to relax and clear my mind. I started this practice when I was a teenager at my grandparent’s farm pond, and it has continued on the beaches of our coast and elsewhere.

So next time I start to stress about where to catch fish, I hope that moment resurfaces in my mind, that my brain clicks again and I remember why I fish in the first place -- to relax and enjoy!

Last week we saw some awesome fishing days and catches to match. Just off the beaches, the Atlantic bonito are still here but in lesser numbers, while Spanish mackerel and bluefish have arrived in good numbers as well. Also, some black drum and an occasional flounder are being caught in the surf.

Surf City Pier reports the Spanish bite has been good, with the best bite in the morning. They also report some 5- to 6-pound blues being caught with plenty of smaller ones, too. Mullet are being caught at night. A school of speckled trout visited last week, and one gentleman caught his limit of keepers.

Jolly Roger Pier reports a strong Spanish bite early in the day, and blues being caught throughout the day with some nice chopper-size mixed in. They also report some nice size Pompano being caught and a few keeper flounders. Sea View Pier reports Spanish and blues being caught with some mullet and flounder in the mix.

Kings are being caught near the 23-mile rock. A few cobia have started to show up, especially to our south. However, none have been reported in our inlets or on our nearshore reefs yet. Grouper and black bass are being caught in the 20 to 30 mile range. Further offshore, the Wahoo and yellowfin tuna bite remains good with an occasional blackfin tuna and some dolphin in the mix.

Tight lines to all!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home