Monday, October 23, 2006

Column - October 23, 2006

Warning: This column contains a fish story. While it’s a clean story, if you are sensitive to the truth being stretched, twisted, altered or obliterated, you may want to avoid politics and stick to reading stories from fisherman.

On a recent fishing trip off shore I had the opportunity to catch a fish, twice.

The seas were calm with a gentle breeze and a few clouds in the sky. It was the kind of day where it’s very enjoyable just to be out in the ocean. You know what I mean -- peaceful, serene and relaxing.

We decided to head out about 20 miles to some ledges and try our luck bottom fishing. I made up some of my "super duper" grouper rigs the night before; they’re much like the ones you can buy in tackle shops, but with a unique bead pattern. I alternate red, green and silver beads above the hook but below the lead weight and swivel. It’s a tradition I started one day years ago while goofing around on a slow fishing day.

I had a few assorted, colored beads in my tackle box. Having nothing better to do, I decided to string a bunch of them onto my bottom rig. I figured it would at least give the fish something to stare at.

No sooner than I dropped it down, I had a bite. The tugging and pulling indicated it was a grouper. Sure enough, up came a roughly 12-pound grouper!

I put the rig down again and after a short wait, I hooked and landed another grouper about the same size. The third attempt resulted in a broken line, and I lost my fancy bead work. I had no more beads and no more grouper rigs, so I headed home. But a tradition was born. Ever since then, I make my rigs using the same pattern of beads -- not that fishermen are superstitious or anything.

On this most recent trip, I anchored over one of my favorite ledges hoping to find some nice grouper. I lowered a big, fat cigar minnow down to the bottom one of my "super duper" rigs. It no sooner landed than I felt a slight tug on the line.

One thing you learn early on about grouper fishing is that you need to pull the fish off the bottom as quickly as possible. The whole battle is usually decided in the first 10 feet. When a grouper grabs a bite to eat, they immediately turn to their hole or rocky ledge to digest the meal. Once in a hole, it is very tough to get a grouper out of it. I liken it to trying to pull up a freight train that is wedged in a cliff.

On this occasion, because he bit it so quick, I wasn’t prepared. When I felt the soft bite, I was slow to set the hook and begin the retrieve -- just slow enough that the grouper made it to the safety of his hole.

I pulled and pulled. He wasn’t budging an inch. Finally, he broke the line off. When I pulled it up, the tell-tale signs of the line rubbing on a rock were evident.

I tied on a rig and lowered another cigar minnow. This time, knowing the exact depth, I stopped 10 feet short of the bottom. My hope was to lure a grouper away from the ledge and the safety of his hole. Nothing after five minutes, so I lowered it five more feet.

Bam, fish ON!

I quickly set the hook and turned the reel handle as fast as I could. It felt like a ton of bricks on the other end, but I was making some progress. Finally I got the fish to the surface -- a nice 15-pound grouper. As I removed my hook, I noticed another rig hanging from his mouth.

It was another of my rigs with the unique bead pattern. I had caught this fish not once, but twice, on this day! I think that was the best-tasting grouper to ever pass my lips.

Catching report

Inshore, the speckled trout bite has been on and off but should be improving with the colder weather and the northeast wind. Flounder continue to bite striped mullet, pogies and soft artificial baits. The spot catches have been strong at times; just be patient because the bite seems to go in streaks right now.

Red drum, black drum and some trout are being caught in the surf. Surf City Pier reports a great fall bite. Lots of spots are being caught when the wind is out of the northeast. Anglers are also catching pompano, flounder, drum and some big kings. The Virginia mullet are biting in the late evening and at night.

Off shore, the king bite has been excellent. Many fish in the 15- to 30-pound range are being caught on live and dead bait from the beaches out to 15 miles. The grouper have moved in closer and can be found in 65 feet of water on ledges and reefs.

Grab and pole and go fish! Tight lines to all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home