Wednesday, August 08, 2007

King fishing 8/7/07

Yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting and fishing with Fred. He is Muskie fisherman & guide, hailing from Toledo, Ohio. He is on vacation this week here on Topsail Island with his wife and children. My buddy Mark was able to join us too.

Mark and I left the dock at 6:00 to pick Fred up at the dock near Serenity Point on the south end of Topsail. Unfortunately a very inconsiderate boater decided to hog the entrance to Banks channel so Mark and I had to push my 2000 pound boat off the sand bar. We picked up Fred just a few minutes later than planned and off we headed.

The seas were very calm with a small chop on top (perfect to disguise the boat).

We went to the first set of boxcars about 8 miles off NTI, jigged up some nice cigar minnows and greenies. We even got a few nice size squids which I saved for later. We trolled that area for a couple of hours with only a barracuda to show for it. So we went further off shore and fished some ledges.

We caught 2 sharks and one king. We did have another king hooked up, he was probably a smoker as he reeled off almost 200 yards of line before the wire leader broke (must have had a bend in it).



Fred - I really enjoyed fishing with you and getting to know you today. I hope to get up your way for some Musky fishing someday.

BTW - the "dog days of summer" are here so the fishing will be real slow for a few weeks. Expect the kings to be spread out and the bite to be sporadic for a couple of weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home