Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Sabiki rigs

We are having a discussion over at NCAngler.com regarding bait techniques. I posted one regarding Sabiki rigs so I thought I'd post it here as well.

I often use a eight foot long 5/8" mesh cast net for catching Menhaden to use as bait when King fishing. But sometimes they are not available or I run out or whatever. So I keep a light tackle rig on board and a sibiki rig or two in the tackle box and use them to jig up bait from the bottom.

A Sabiki rig has anywhere from 6-10 hooks, usually gold and spaced out on a three to six foot leader with a swivel at the top and a snap at the bottom to attach a pyramid weight. Usually wherever you are King fishing there will be some hard bottom or reefs nearby (or on the way), locate them with your GPS & fishfinder and then drop the sabiki rig straight down (a 3 ounce weight is best, if you go lighter your line will tangle). Once it hits the bottom just jig it up and down about a foot or so, pretty quick you will feel the fish on the end, reel it up and be prepared for mulitple fish at a time - cigar minnows, ribbonfish, greenies, etc. Often I can fill my bait well in about 10 minutes or less.

Some guys I know make their own but I prefer the Hayabusa brand Sabiki in either size 6 or 8 with a red or green bead above each hook and a dried fish skin sheath on the hook shank. I always have some aboard in case I need extra bait or can't find menhaden.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home