Monday, May 21, 2007

Relaxing afternoon on the boat

After church yesterday morning, I took my wife and her sister to the beach on Hutaff Island for a picnic. Afterwards we decided to cruise around a bit and then find a nice spot to anchor up and enjoy the beautiful day.

Of course on my boat, nice spot means - fishing spot We anchored up behing Rich Inlet right between Uttley creek - the ladies took in the sun, I cast around for a flounder or two. The wind really picked up - went from 10 knots to 20 and stayed there.

Then all of sudden, I feel a head shake on my line - pop - set the hook and started to reel the line in. Violent head shaking on the other end - not a huge fish but he is really rocking the line - certainly didn't feel like a flounder. I get him to the boat and I can't believe my eyes - it was a COBIA! all 12 inches of him He sure rattled that line for no bigger than he is - back in the big pond till next time do we meet.

Did manage two flounders and a under the slot drum also.

The Cobia hunt continues..................

3 Comments:

At 5/21/2007 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am staying in N Topsail 05/31-06/04. We are going on a charter with Capt Jeff Cronk out of Swansboro on Sat 6/02 and hoping to get into the flounder on the artificial reefs. Is anyone catching anything in the surf? Any big drum or blues like they have been catching at Buxton point? Don't hear too many fishing reports from Topsail but we love going there.

 
At 5/21/2007 3:51 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Jeff's a great guide - I'm sure he will treat you right. They have been catching the big chopper blues in the surf and off the piers too. I've heard of a few big drum being caught but they aren't in thick yet.

I hope you have a great vacation!

 
At 5/22/2007 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, and good luck to you in your hunt for a Cobia. I have never caught one but hoping one might cruise by the boat when we go out with Jeff. I know they are there in good numbers yet but maybe they will show up by next week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home