Monday, August 28, 2006

Weekly Column - August 28, 2006

Beautiful sandy beaches, gorgeous sunrises and sunsets, delightful ocean activities, fun-filled days and nights -- sounds like the description of some distant vacation destination?

Well, it is if you live far from here; otherwise, it aptly describes our home.

This past weekend I had the pleasure of taking a couple of friends fishing. They live in Cary and rarely get down to the coast. Seeing them reminded me of what I already knew -- how great it is to live here.

After leaving the boat dock, we navigated the channel through the salt marsh, and I heard several comments on how beautiful it is here. As we cruised down the IntraCoastal Waterway, I again heard comments on the beauty, this time accented with an observation about the peacefulness.

We anchored up in a marsh creek and began to fish -- still more comments on the beauty and peacefulness of the area. Then several porpoises passed near us, playfully displaying their gracefulness. Besides the "ooohs" and "aaahs," I heard remarks on the "wonders of this place."

Then came the big question from my visitors -- "Do you ever get tired of this place?"

After about two nanoseconds had passed, I answered with a decisive "NO." Interspersed with the laughs from my guests were comments like "Are your sure?" and "Do you want to think about it?"The answers to those questions was, of course, made clear by my response.

I grew up in the Topsail area. I cut my teeth swimming, fishing and frolicking in these waters. Then I moved away for a number of years. During my Navy years, I traveled and lived in many different parts of the country and of world. Later I did the same with my civilian job. After 20 years I was able to move back here, and I have no intent of ever moving away again.

Having seen the world, I choose Topsail! I really appreciate the beauty and joy that we have in our surroundings here. I hope you do to.

Oh yeah, did I mention that as a bonus to all the beauty, peacefulness and natural wonders, we caught some fish? Well we did, and I felt I should mention that since this IS a fishing column.

Catching report

The eastern wind seemed to shut down much of the offshore bite this past week. However a few kings, Spanish and mahi were reeled in. Days when the wind was from the south or southwest were more productive. In spite of the weather, flounder and drum fishing near the shore remained strong.

In the surf, reds continue to bite, especially near flood tide. Pompano, spots and Virginia mullet should be showing up in good numbers soon -- try shrimp, blood worms, sand fleas and cut bait on a double hook bottom rig to target these tasty favorites.

Jolly Roger Pier reports scattered catches of Spanish mackerel and blues in the mornings and evenings, with some black drum being caught at night. Fishermen at Surf City Pier have been catching spots, Spanish mackerel and a few pompano and one nice-sized king mackerel this past week. A couple of small kings and some nice Spanish mackerel were caught at Seaview Pier, where they also saw some Pompano, spots and croakers hauled over the rails.

Tight lines, and wishes for a wonderful Labor Day weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home