Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A fish tale & a catching report

Warning: this column contains a fish story, while it’s a clean story, if you are sensitive to the truth being stretched, twisted, altered, or obliterated, you may want to avoid politics and stick to reading stories from fisherman.

On fishing trip last year off shore I had the opportunity to catch a fish, twice. The same fish twice that is.

The seas were calm with a gentle breeze and a few clouds in the sky. The kind of day that is very enjoyable just to be out in the ocean. You know what I mean, peaceful, serene, and relaxing.

We decided to head out about 20 miles to some ledges and try our luck bottom fishing. I made up some of my super, duper grouper rigs the night before. Much like the ones you can buy in tackle shops but with a unique bead pattern. I alternate red, green and silver beads above the hook but below the lead weight and swivel. A tradition I started one day years ago while goofing around on a slow fishing day.

I had a few assorted colored beads in my tackle box. Having nothing better to do, I decided to string a bunch of them onto my bottom rig. I figured at least it would give the fish something to stare at. No sooner than I dropped it down, I had a bite. The tugging and pulling indicated it was a grouper. Sure enough up came about a 12 pound grouper!

I put the rig down again and after a short wait, I hooked and landed another grouper about the same size. The third attempt resulted in a broken line, loosing my fancy bead work. I had no more beads and no more grouper rigs so I headed home. But a tradition was born.

Ever since then, I make my rigs using the same pattern of beads. Not that fisherman are superstitious or anything.

On this most recent trip, I anchored over one of my favorite ledges hoping to find some nice grouper. I lowered a big fat cigar minnow down to the bottom one of my super, duper rigs. It no sooner landed than I felt a slight tug on the line.

One thing you learn early on about grouper fishing is that you need to pull the fish off the bottom as quickly as possible. The whole battle is usually decided in the first 10 feet.

When a grouper grabs a bite to eat, they immediately turn to their hole or rocky ledge to digest the meal. Once in a hole it is very tough to get a grouper out of it. I liken it to trying to pull up a freight train that is wedged in a cliff.

On this occasion because he bite it so quick, I wasn’t prepared. When I felt the soft bite I was slow to set the hook and begin the retrieve. Just slow enough that the grouper made it to the safety of his hole. I pulled and pulled. He wasn’t budging an inch. Finally he broke the line off. When I pulled it up, the tell-tale signs of the line rubbing on a rock was evident.

I tied on a rig and lowered another cigar minnow. This time, knowing the exact depth, I stopped 10 feet short of the bottom. My hope was to lure a grouper away from the ledge and the safety of his hole. Nothing after 5 minutes, so I lowered it 5 more feet.

Bam, fish ON!

I quickly set the hook and turned the reel handle as fast as I could. It felt like a ton of bricks on the other end but I was making some progress. Finally I get the fish to the surface, a nice 15 pound grouper. As I’m removing my hook, I notice another rig hanging from his mouth.

It was another of my super, duper grouper rigs with the unique bead pattern. I had caught this fish not once but twice on this day! I think that was the best tasting grouper to ever pass through my lips.

Catching report

Inshore the speckled trout bite has been on and off but should be improving with the cooler weather. Mirrolures are working well as are live bait under a popping float. Flounder continue to bite striped mullet and soft artificial baits. Grey trout are still being caught on the near shore ledges and patches of hard bottom. Try a diamond jig worked vertically just off the bottom for good results. The spot catches have been strong at times in the surf and from the piers but be patient because the bite seems to go in streaks right now. Not many have showed up in the waterway and sounds yet but maybe with a steady NE wind for a few days that will change

Red drum, black drum and some trout are being caught in the surf. The pier reports a great fall bite. Lots of spots are being caught when the wind is out of the northeast. Anglers are also catching a few pompano, some flounder, and some big kings. The Virginia mullet are biting in the late evening and at night.

The near shore king bite has been excellent but I expect them to start moving further out anytime now. Many fish in the 15 – 30 pound range are being caught on live and dead bait from the beaches out to 15 miles. The grouper have moved in closer and can be found in 65 foot of water on ledges and reefs.

Grab and pole and go fish! Tight lines to all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home