Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Winter fishing activity (TA column)

The past few weeks have been unusually warm. Unusual not in the fact that we reached the 70’s in January, that happens in many if not most years around these parts. Rather it is unusual in the fact we have had so many of those days strung together.

A number of fishermen including myself have taken advantage of the nice weather. In the past three weeks we have caught plenty of flounder, black sea bass and grouper on several occasions. Of course every winter these fish are available offshore. What is different this year is that we are fishing for them in short sleeve tee shirts and are able to get out more often.

However we have had a few cold snaps mixed in with the warm spells. In fact, just enough cold weather to remind us that it is January. The latest cold spell finds me in my shop working on fishing gear, lures and tackle. This is the time of year when I sneak in a trip whenever possible but spend most of my “fishing time” preparing for the next season.

Some of my friends make some beautiful flies and plugs. I stick mainly to tying bucktails and pouring some lead molds for jigs and sinkers. I also make most of my terminal tackle – rigs for king mackerel, Carolina rigs, bottom rigs and others.

This year I have decided to learn how to make rods. I’m still gather information and acquiring the tools I’ll need but I’m about to begin my first rod next week. I think rod making will add another dimension to a sport I already enjoy.

Rod building hobbyists tell me that they get great satisfaction in catching fish with something they handcrafted. Plus the rods are built to fit their styles and preferences. I’ve seen some beautiful and unique examples of that recently during my research.

I sure am glad we can enjoy the sport of fishing year round!

Catching report

Specks are being caught in the creeks and channels. They have schooled up with the cooler nights so look for them in deep holes and channels. Try down sizing your bait and retrieving very, very slowly. Puppy drum are also being caught, most of them are sized under the slot but fun to catch none the less. Look for them on the sand flats on bright sunny days.

Black sea bass are being caught in the area 3 to 15 miles offshore. Vertical jigs and cut bait on bottom rigs are working well. Flounder are being caught in sixty to eighty feet of water on ledges and reefs. Grouper are biting in the 20 – 35 miles range. There have been plenty of kings and a few wahoo caught out at Cripple Rock and further east.

So when the weather allows, grab a rod and catch some winter fish.

Tight lines to all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home