Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Trout fishing in the Nantahala River


Winter weather has set-in across the state, but fish still need to eat. Many leave for warmer waters but some stay here for the winter, fish like specks and red drum. Avid anglers pursue these fish all winter long braving the cold for the enjoyment of the catch.

I took a different tack this past week. I went to a colder climate looking for a fish that thrives in the cold water, not just survives. That of course would be trout, freshwater trout that is.

Growing up on the NC coast I was able to spend part of my summers in and around North Carolina’s mountains, the Smoky Mountains, Cherokee Forest, Nantahala and Pisgah National Forests. I learned to fish for the elusive native trout using the same gear I used in the sound. Often I could be found climbing over rocky embankments and dropping a line down into the cool summer waters in hopes of catching a monster brown trout.

Ah, the cool waters on a hot summer day. It seemed logical to me. To go fishing in those cold waters in the middle of winter never crossed my mind. I never thought about how the trout preferred cold water and thus would not become as lethargic in cold water as do their warm water preferring cousins.

On those trips I often would see folks using fly rods. It always looked odd but somewhat intriguing. It seemed kind of scary to me with all that line dangling down at their feet, the long rod slicing back and forth through the air with line whipping around like a snake. Being a clumsy kid who didn’t develop refined motor skills until I was older, I always wondered how in the world they managed not to catch themselves.

Last week I had the opportunity not only to learn how to use a fly rod but to fish for trout in the middle of the winter. Wow! That says it all. I had an expert instructor, Daniel Boone who heads up Nantahala Fly Fishing Company in Robinsville, NC. Yes that is really his name. And like the Daniel in our history books, this Daniel knows a thing or two about wilderness living. He also knows a lot about fly fishing for trout.

Within the first hour, I was not only handling that rod with a bit of confidence, I caught three trout on three casts, a nice brown trout, a brook and a rainbow. They tell me that feat is called a mountain trifecta, along the lines of our inshore slam I suppose.

This time of year I am accustomed to retrieving very slowly and expect a light bite from our specks and drum. I was surprised at how feisty the trout were. They would hit my lure and hold on, first running toward me then heading down stream as fast as they could. Wow. Yup, that says it all.

Looking for some mid-winter action – put on the long underwear and give Daniel a call. You will be in for a treat! Daniel can be reached at 828-479-8850 or through his website.

Catching report

Back in these parts – specks and drum continue to bite in the creeks in deep and on the sandy flats on sunny warmer days. There have been a few reports of the yellowfin tuna action starting up offshore. Grouper and snappers are biting in the 25- 35 mile range Try the artificial reefs from some nice black sea bass and a few keeper flounder.

Tight lines to all!

2 Comments:

At 2/12/2007 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike,

Have you been fishing the ICW or surf lately? Looks like a nice calm day at the beach today. Beautiful morning to wet a line at sunrise for some specs

 
At 2/12/2007 9:33 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Yup - went fishing today. Reds and Specks are doing fine. Bite is slow but they are biting. Specks in the deep holes, reds on the flats in the afternoon sun.

It was a beautiful day. Wish I had been able to go out early bu tI couldn't get on the water till about noon due to other commitments.

There were also reds in the surf today - I went to Hutaft/Lea Island for a while this afternoon too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home