Sunday, November 12, 2006

A MirroLure technique for Specks

One of my favorite lures for catching speckled trout (spotted sea trout) is the MirroLure made by the L&S Bait Company. There are several different models and many techniques for using them ranging from trolling to casting to pitching them.

My favorite way to target specks with mirrolures utilizes the MR series and is best described as a modified cast. I'll explain in more detail below. These lures have been around for decades and are a favorite of many speck fishermen. The MR series is considered a sinking twitch bait. That is because it slowly sinks if left alone and the best action comes by giving the rod tip a twitch from time to time.

L&S recently introduced an updated version of the MR52 series. The updated model is called the MR52 Series lll. Same shape, weight and sink rate as the original but it features a holographic foil on the side of the lure and sports red hooks instead of the original silver ones. The original and the series lll are currently available and both have some new color combos. The series lll costs slightly more than the original model.

Sometimes I locate the specks by trolling. But more often than not I try to find them by reviewing my logbook before I leave home. I take note of current conditions (tide, temp, solunar conditions, etc) and match those to similar conditions when I caught specks, take note of the locations and head there. If I don't find the fish there then I troll usually pulling the Rapala X-Rap series lures or a grub.

Once I find the fish trolling or get to my destination, I anchor up and bring out the trusty mirrolures. My favorite colors are the EC (hot pink back, silver side, chartreuse belly) and the 808 (black back, gold side, orange bottom). I try to anchor up parallel to the structure I'll be fishing and slightly down current.

I use a lightweight spin outfit, something in the 8-10 pound class with a soft tip (fast action) and loaded with 10# test braided line. The braid gives you better sensitivity for feeling that soft speck bite while the fast action rod helps soften the hook set which is especially helpful when using the non-stretching braided line. I put 3-4 feet of fluorocarbon on the end to make the line less visible. I tie the lure directly onto the fluorocarbon (no swivels or snaps).

I then cast the lure up-current but in line with the structure I'm fishing. To help visualize this, from the bow of the boat and facing the direction of the structure you are working, cast at about 1 o'clock. Let the lure drift back toward the structure. Keep the line taunt but do not retrieve the lure, let it float down current. The lure will begin sinking as it floats in the current. Every once in while give the line a slight "twitch", how often depends on the speed of the current. The twitch will raise the lure in the water column and give the impression of a "sick" fish. Experiment with the hardness of the twitch and the frequency, it won't be long before you get the feel for it based on conditions.

If you are fishing when there is no current, you may need to anchor in line with the structure and slowly retrieve the lure toward you over the structure. Use this pattern and vary as needed - cast, retrieve a few feet of line, wait wait wait, twitch, wait wait wait, retrieve a few feet of line, etc.

If there are feeding trout nearby they likely will not be able resist this combination of lure and action. There is nothing quite like a trout exploding on a slow sinking mirrolure - I'm sure after you catch the first one, you'll be back for more using this technique!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home