Monday, March 19, 2007

Fishing Trip - March 19, 2007

Weather man hit it on the head today! I left the dock before sun rise reaching the inlet just as the sun was peeking over the horizon. The ocean was like a lake - flat with maybe a 6 inch ground swell, very little wind but what wind there was came from the SE, it shifted to the south and picked up some in the afternoon.

Headed out to a set of ledges/reefs in the 15 mile range cruising at 26 knots all the way out, made great time (esp. for my little ole boat). Anchored up over one of my favorite spots and caught my limit of Gag groupers (2) and Black Sea Bass (15). Caught a few other gags but had to put them back (you should have been there to increase our limit.....lol). The grouper and most of the BSB were caught on chunks of Northern mackerel. The rest of the bass came on stingsilvers.

Stopped at the box cars on the way back to see if the flounder are still there - pulled up two undersize ones but by then I was tired and ready to come in so I left them for another time.

4 Comments:

At 3/19/2007 9:40 PM, Blogger John R Horner Jr said...

Great catch Mike! I wanted to email you and maybe go with you. I saw your invite on the message board. But, I had business in Wilmington this morning, and just couldn't make it. Looks like you had a nice day on the water. Thanks for the post.
Till next time....
Tight Lines!
Johnny
"FishinTopsail"

 
At 3/19/2007 9:46 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Johnny - sorry you couldn't make it out - you are welcome to go with me anytime I got room. Bonito will be here soon - we'll def. have to get out there and get us a few!

 
At 3/20/2007 9:52 AM, Blogger John R Horner Jr said...

Thanks Mike, You will be hearing from me about that fishing trip. Are you going to write the Topsail Angler report in the Advertiser this year? Looking forward to your posts.
Till next time....
Tight Lines!
Johnny
"FishinTopsail"

 
At 3/20/2007 10:26 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Johnny - I've been writing thew column for the Advertizer all along. But this winter instead of writing the column weekly, I did it semi-weekly. I'll go back to weekly in April.

See ya soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home